Home>> World news>>Lit cigarette, hand sanitizer ignite major car fire in Maryland
World news

Lit cigarette, hand sanitizer ignite major car fire in Maryland

Don’t smoke and sanitize.

Firefighters are warning the public not to mix lit cigarettes with alcohol-based hand sanitizer, after that combination ignited a dramatic vehicle fire in the parking lot of a shopping mall on Thursday in Rockville, Md.

Read more:
Cat survives fifth-floor jump from window of burning building

The driver was holding a lit cigarette in his mouth and slathering his hands with “copious amounts of hand sanitizer” just before the fire, according to Montgomery County Fire spokesperson Pete Piringer.

“While working sanitizer into his hands, embers fell from (the) cigarette in his mouth, igniting sanitizer and some clothing.”

Aerial footage from the scene shows the car completely engulfed in flames and billowing a column of thick smoke on Thursday afternoon, as fire crews rushed to put it out.

Story continues below advertisement


The car was totally destroyed in the blaze, according to Montgomery County fire officials.

Story continues below advertisement

The driver escaped the fire with minor burns, authorities say. He was transported to hospital for treatment.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.


Please disable Adblock!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: